8.19.2009

Back to School

If it wasn't for my blasted computer, you all would be up to date on my life.  However, since blogger hates when I try to upload pictures, I haven't posted anything.  Poor little Ben hasn't received near the blogging attention Jax got in his first 2 months of life.  But, I promise I love him just as much!!  Soon I will figure out how to force my computer to upload some pictures.  Until then, you are left with my thoughts...

School starts tomorrow.  Teachers went back to work on Monday.  I have been having some strange feelings about this school year.  When I was pregnant with Jax during the last school year I taught, I counted down the days until my due date.  I wanted that little baby to be here.  I wanted to be a mom and stay home and snuggle him and rub baby lotion on his little squishy body all day long.

About 3 months ago, I considered going back to work this fall.  I looked and applied for some 1/2 time teaching positions.  I thought that teaching 4 hours a day would be good for me and not too big of a deal for my 2 little boys...they would nap through some of it anyway, right?  Well, after I went to an interview, Chase told me that if it was up to him there was no way that I was going to teach school.  Even 1/2 day.  Our little boys need me to take care of them.  So, I decided against it.

Actually, I feel really good about not teaching school right now.  I am sure the day will come that if I want to go back and teach, I will.  But, I just didn't feel like now was the time for that.  My babies are little.  They need a mama home with them.  And, I want to be home with them.  

But, this week, for some reason, has been hard for me.  I have felt a little left out of the loop.  I have talked to some of my teaching friends and feel like I miss the public school atmosphere.  I miss the hilarious things that my 6th graders did.  I miss the funny stories I came home and told Chase from the school day.  I miss the friends I made teaching.

Tomorrow is the first day of school.  Part of me wishes that I was going to be wearing my fluorescent orange vest being the crossing guard at 7:45am while my students walk to school.  But, deep down I am so glad that at 7:45am tomorrow I will probably be snuggling my little Ben waiting for Jax to wake up with a big smile on his face reaching for me with a big hug!!

9 comments:

PJ and Julie said...

I have to comment on this post cause I know exactly how you feel! Every fall I get a little blue that I am not teaching anymore because I loved it so much. Being a mom is the best job out there, but I think being a teacher is second...

And yes, pictures of Ben please. :)

sarah said...

Oh Mug! I so get this. I was really relieved at the end of last school year to know I wasn't completely saying goodbye to teaching. It's nice to be going back for my whopping 8 hrs. a week... and that's all. I want nooooo more. I almost thought we had another opening like mine...perfect for you...and then it disappeared! Sorry!
I know it's hard in the moment to be out of the school loop...but I'll keep you up to date on the latest polyester trends. Also, I guarantee if you were going back 4 hours a day...you'd be dreading it. Always want what we don't have! So confusing!
(Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!)

Esther Noelle said...

Hey Goldie! I can kind of relate - after Rob graduated he got a job where we both used to work and so I'm so used to being in the know and in the decision making process at his company and it's weird/annoying to take such a backseat role sometimes! Hope you and your boys are doing well! :)

Heather Lee said...

oh and you might not miss that pleasant little boy in the back that would tell you off. I can't fully remember the stories, but I do remember a hillarious email about someone being less than thrilled about Mrs. Gunderson.
I would love some photo's of Benny Boo boo but I will settle for an in person hangout.
Thanks for the comment on the family photos, just let me know which number and I'll print it out on sepia (much harder to recognize who's actually IN the photos)

Konold's said...

Girl?! I have no idea how you can miss teaching! Each year, when back to school comes around, I thank my lucky stars that I'm home with my family and not planning lessons or correcting papers!!

Chablis said...

I have a friend who was a social worker and she worked with teenage troubled boys. Before she left to have her first baby she asked the boys for some advise and EVERY single one of them (12)said they wished their mother had stayed home with them. She was on the fence, but that made her decide to always stay home with her kids. I think that is pretty convining.

p.s. I made my blog private, but I don't want you to feel uninvited. If you want, you can send me your email at: chablisadams(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks!

Renae said...

Just keep repeating "There's no place like home, there's no place like home". You made a good/hard choice and will be forever blessed for it. :)

Citizen Jared said...

which browser are you using? firefox? safari? there's updates for both.. maybe that will fix your problem? i haven't had trouble with my computer and blogger.. so maybe thats the solution?

i love reading your guy's updates! keep them coming!

The Wood Family said...

Goldie,
How are you? I have not seen you forever. Our blog is www.woodcrew.blogspot.com. It is so fun to see how all of our lives are changing!
Jennica Wood