5.14.2009

Neurologist Update

Well, in the last week I have been to three doctors appointments.  How exciting.  On Saturday I had to get a brain MRI.  If you have never had the wonderful opportunity of getting an MRI, count yourself lucky.  It is the WORST thing ever.  Not to mention, being 33 weeks pregnant doesn't make it any more comfortable.  I even asked the technician if she thought I would get stuck because of my belly.  Thankfully, she said I would be just fine.

Not only did I have to go in the tube for 20 minutes and try not to move, I had a plastic cage put around my head (because it was an MRI of my brain) to make it feel even more impossible to breathe.  I thought I was seriously going to have an anxiety attack. 

I had an appointment with my neurologist yesterday to review the brain MRI...everything looked perfect.  That means, I didn't have a stroke and I didn't have a TIA.  

For the last week I have been having numbing on my right side of the body - face, arm, and leg - that lasts about an hour or so.  I haven't had any of the other symptoms (headache, blurred vision, or slurred speech) since the first 'episode', if you will.  About 5 days ago my neurologist gave me three "natural medications" to take.  Since I am pregnant medicating me is quite a bit more difficult.  Since I have been taking the medication I have had zero numbing.  Thank goodness.

Well, at my doctor appointment yesterday, he concluded that all the symptoms are from a combination of migraines and pregnancy hormones.....  Kinda interesting, considering that I only had a headache the first day and never again.  But, I will take that diagnosis for sure!  It is much less dramatic than the other alternatives.

My doctor is pretty confident that my pregnancy is what has brought on all of this craziness.  I should be totally fine and the  baby should be fine too.  I have to continue with the medication until the baby is born.  Then, he believes, once this baby is born and I am no longer pregnant, all numbing, migraines, and anything else weird will cease.

So, in all, everything is much less serious than I thought the first time I went to the doctor and was told I was having a TIA.  After paying A LOT in medical bills this last month, I am so grateful that it shouldn't be too serious and hopefully will be totally over in 7 weeks when I have the baby.  I am also so grateful for fasting, prayer, and the preisthood because I know that these are the reasons why this turn for the better happened so quickly.

10 comments:

em ♥ muffin said...

Goldie! I had a friend e-mail me your post (what are the odds it was you?) because I have the same exact symptoms/headaches every 6 months or so. I had an MRI, came back perfect, and was given heavy duty migraine meds that don't work. Anyway, I was wondering what the natural medications were that you take?

Emily Kartchner Frame

Cody and Jessie said...

What a relief it wasn't a stroke... I'm happy to hear it isn't as serious as they thought before. But, oh man, the MRI at 7 months pregnant sounds awful. You are a trooper!

Heather Lee said...

such good news! Funny that you said that about getting an MRI, I totally volunteered myself for an MRI. I didn't know it at the time, but I was also pregnant with Holland. I was so worried after I found that out. But I was glad for the chance to have a peek at my brain and make sure there were no tumors. And love the modest speedo. Where do you find a swimsuit like that?

sarah said...

the MRI sounds absolutely awful!! i'm so glad to hear that you're ok...and hopefully all will be back to normal after the pregnancy (yeah, that's what I keep telling myself about my body...)

Renae said...

We're so happy for the good news! We'll keep you in our prayers anyways just for fun. :)

Kelsey said...

What a relief! I am so glad that everything is ok. I have been so worried about you. That is great news!

The Morales Family said...

I am so glad you are doing better. That is a huge relief. I hear ya about the MRI!

Suzy Hunter said...

Goldie - You have been through so much recently! You are strong and blessed and amazing! Our family has been praying for you, and Jax and Chase! I don't know how much that means, but please know you are cared about and loved by soooooo many people!

annie and jared said...

man your life has been stressful lately! no apology needed for jax at the shower... he is adorable and so so sweet. olive is a little bit sensitive, ok, a lot sensitive. ha ha.

halliday6 said...

Whoa, Goldie! When all the other moms are whippin' out stretch marks and vericose veins as proof of a hard pregnancy, you can pull out a cool brain scan and be like, "oh, that aint nothin' ladies..." Seriously, glad everything's O.K.!