12.11.2008

Rule Breaker

Jax's new sleep habits - or rather his lack there of - have really started to get the best of me.  He wakes up at least twice a night just SCREAMING.  It's not he most pleasant thing to be woken up by.  I have tried everything - rocking him, a binky, nursing him, feeding him a bottle... but nothing other than nursing him has seemed to work.  So that's what I have been doing to settle him down.

Well, last week I decided that I am ready to be done nursing.  So, I have cut out all daytime feedings and just nurse first thing in the morning and right before bed.  The bad news for Jax and anyone in a 20 miles radius trying to sleep at night, is that I refuse to nurse him in the middle of the night during his freak outs.  It has been quite interesting.  Let's just say that he is NOT impressed.  It has been pretty rough.

First off, the whole weening thing isn't the easiest thing in the world, especially when Jax refuses a bottle.  Formula is just out of the question and juice just gets a sip or two and then he's over it.  So, this is just adding to the difficult nights.

Well, last night after talking to Brandi (so that means I got medical advice:) I decided that I was going to give him a bottle of milk in the middle of the night when he wakes up.  I know, I know, no milk until you are 12 months, but hey I am desperate and so all the rules can just go right out the window.  But, like  I said Brandi is a respiratory therapist so her advice is like just as good as a doctor's, right? :)

So, of course Jax isn't that into milk - go figure.  So, I decided to pump up the flavor a little.  So, last night when he woke up for the first time, I busted out a bottle of chocolate milk.  Yep, first I am giving milk too early and then I smother it with chocolate.  At first he refused, but once he got a few tastes he started drinking.  It didn't put him right to sleep, but it was the next  best thing to nursing.  It still took about twenty minutes to get him back to sleep, but he actually only cried for like 5 minutes.  Sadly, he woke up again and he had to do the same routine, but it was definitely better than last night. 

So, I guess that I will just have to accept that I am the mom who gives her ten month old chocolate milk.  But, I am pretty much willing to do anything to get this little guy to not only sleep through the night, but to go back to sleep if he wakes up.  

8 comments:

heidi said...

Hey Goldie! No worries about the milk. I started Sophia on milk at about 9 or 10 months. I stopped nursing her then. And the whole waking up thing is normal. She did the same thing while she was teething for awhile. It went back to normal after a few weeks. Now shes 2 and "night terrors" have started. Sometimes she'll wake up twice or so in the night just thrashing and crying and shes not all there. Doc says her brain and her body wake up on different levels so it takes about 10 minutes or so for them to catch up and then shes fine and back to bed. It crazy how their sleeping patterns can change so abruptly from perfect to what the heck!

Lyssa said...

Ya I was just going say that I put both of my girls straight to whole milk around 10 months. But it takes weeks for babies to get used to it. I would try giving him whole milk, unchocolatefied, in teh day, get him used to it and then give it to him at night. I just get nervous for you because if he's waking because of teething, when it stops, he'll keep waking up for the chocolate milk!!
I would just give him water in a bottle...if he doesn't take it, then let me cry. Seriously, it's okay for him to cry, especially at night when you know he's not hungry, he's safe in his crib. If my child was doing that, which Kate did a few times, I took the tough love route and let her cry...especially since you know he can do it and has done it in the past :) Sorry to sound preachy but i've been there. It's hard to hear babies cry, especially your own. But doing the cry it out method is so worth it so you don't have a 2 year old still waking up in the night, and trust me, it happens! I have so many friends who gave in early on and their 4 yera old still has sleep problems because they didn't nip the problem...and the older they get, the harder it is to break the habit ...
Anyways, good luck. I know it's hard but hang in there and remmeber, you are the parent, you are in control, not the baby!!

jayni & ben said...

Hi. I don't know if I have ever commented on your blog but I like to read it. Anyway... I am not a mother but from what I have learned from babysitting over night and also from reading books is that babies are smarter than you think. Jax knows if he cries, you will come in and get him. It really does suck to listen to a baby cry but it only takes a few times and he will learn you are not going to come and get him out of his bed. Maybe even just take him a bottle, tell him you love him but you are not going to get him out of his bed and then leave. He will learn. I say all of this.. But I don't have a baby keeping me up at night so maybe I will change my mind when I am in your shoes. Who knows?! Either way you are being a great mother for caring so much. I hope things work out and you start sleeping.

LinDsEy ShaUn + JerEMy said...

I totally call Brandi for medical advise, forget the doctors, I have Brandi Lyn. WORD TO YOUR MOM. GO JAX!

Janelle said...

Goldie! This is great! I'm getting all sorts of advice on sleeping babies from your blog! No more baby books for me! Just Goldies blog!
Here's my advice. Do what's best for you and that little Jax. Good luck!! :)

Jeff and Brandi said...

Oh sure! Blame the early milk giving on ME!!! Ha ha JK. At least your baby eats! I've been meaning to call you and see how the night went. I don't know about you but people have told me to just let Dylan cry but it doesn't work. He doesn't stop and he screams until he is puking. So I'm not convinced that it works. Who knows! Learn as you go right?

Heather Lee said...

well, you may be the mom giving her baby chocolate milk at 10 months...but I'll definitely be the mom with a 10 year old running in from playing with her friends doing the double fisted "pump" (nursing sign) wanting to latch on...since I refuse to give up nursing.

Konold's said...

If you give him some yogurt and pudding during the day it will help his body get used to the milk. No worries with the chocolate milk thing...us mom's do what we gotta do!