9.22.2008

You Don't Miss A Good Thing Until It's Gone

If I could scream at blogger, I would.  For some reason I can't post pictures.  I have no idea why, but it just won't let me.  So, I guess that means that I will just have to write about what is going on with me instead of posting pictures of cute little Jax.

The school year is already about 1/8 over, and I haven't stepped into a classroom yet.  If you would have told me last January that I would miss it, there is NO WAY that I would have believed you.  I loved all my students - especially the hyper talkative ones, and even the little boy who would sometimes fart in class and laugh his head off.  Those kids made me laugh.  Sometimes they made me want to pull my hair out, but most days I smiled thinking about them.  But, being pregnant and teaching just put me in countdown mode.  I couldn't wait to be done...with pregnancy and with teaching.

About 3 weeks ago I was driving past an elementary just as school was getting out.  I saw all the crazy kids running around and the teachers standing in as crossing guards - which I am proud to say I have done.  I realized that although I told Chase quite often last year how excited I was to never go back, I really did miss it.  

Isn't it so sad that we don't realize how much we love something or how fun a stage of our life is until it is over?  We don't realize how carefree life is until we have to pay our own cell phone bill.  We don't realize how much we love our mom until we move out.  I didn't realize how much I loved teaching until I was done.

But, I have found a way to fill that void in my life and still get to stay home with Jax - the best of both worlds!  I tutor elementary, middle school, and even high school aged students.  It is great.  They come to my house, and I tutor during Jax's naps.  I tutor just 10 hours a week.  5 of the hours are during the after school hours.  The other 5 hours are during the day.  Two kids in my neighborhood are homeschooled, and I teach them all of their Language Arts curriculum during the day.  One is in 6th grade - which is great because I have already taught 6th grade.  The other is in 4th grade - which has been so fun getting to know the 4th grade curriculum.

It is kinda funny how I look forward to tutoring everyday.  The kids are so cute, and remind me that I really do LOVE to teach - even if I didn't figure that out until I was done.  But, it has been so great to tutor and teach my cute little homeschoolers.  I am still trying to figure out why it takes me so long to appreciate something or realize how much I love things that I am doing.  I hate that a lot of times I don't realize how great something is until it is over.  But, I've decided that I am just going to LOVE tutoring because I know that one day when I have more of my own kids I won't be able to do it and will miss it.  I am going to love every minute of helping frustrated kids with their math homework and times tables!!!  And hey, I am like a times table pro now...don't worry that it has taken me until I am 24....

9 comments:

Heather Lee said...

oh there is no way you'll ever get me to SNEAK into a WORKOUT room! You'd pretty much have to pay me too STEP into a workout room. No but I really love love to go on long walks lately (just ask me about my walk from Utah Valley Hospital up to Nun's Park in the Canyon) So we could go for a walk in the canyon like our old rollerblading days...ooor we could just go for a stroll down the mall. Just call me. I'm so sad you can't post photo's, I miss Jax bad. Don't it always seem to go...that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?

sarah said...

.hey mug!!!
we definitely need to talk/get together/email/ something!!!!
your email inspired me to embrace the kid in my class kicking me in the shin and the darlings wiping snot on me. i'm like you in lots of ways...so i'm sure whenever I'm done, i'll miss it too.
i have a girl i taught this summer looking for a tutor...3rd grade...are you still taking kids?
ok- 30 page comment. i'm done. call me! xoxoxoxo

Mark and Michelle said...

Goldie! So I was totally surprised to see your comment and, oh so happy, to find your blog. Okay, you have the cutest little boy ever! Holy cow! I think the last time we saw you you were pregnant. Long time... Well, good to see you guys are doing great. You have the cutest little family. We should do something sometime.

Peter & Darise said...

That's so great that you're tutoring now. It's like you said, it's the best of both worlds now. congrats.

Konold's said...

WOW! You must be a "born teacher" because although I love my students, and even hear from them often, I DO NOT miss teaching!! Being a mom beats it 10 fold!!!

Cody & Jessica said...

That's great that you can tudor! I think it's awesome that you have a skill like teaching that you can use at home with kids. You have the best of both worlds now... stay at home mom and teacher.

suzy Hunter said...

I completely understand what you are saying. It has been 999 years since I taught school, but still every time I pass a school or see teachers with their kids, I crave to go back! Teaching is not something you do because you want to make money, but because you love children and seeing the light in their eyes when they get something, and the crushed flowers they give you after carrying them all the way to school. You are a darling mom and wife, and what a wonderful contribution to life that is... but at the same time you altered little people's lives forever and they will never forget you!

pcflyer said...

I know what you mean, I miss my daughter.

check your email

Ashley and Jordan said...

I sure hope that I have the same feelings when I am done with school. Granted that I haven't had the opportunity to teach yet, I am not looking forward to student teaching just because I am sick of my classes already! Right now I could easily quite school and work and just stay home in bed all day... you're my inspiration to continue on!