9.06.2008

New Napping Routine

Jax has always been such a little sweetie.  He has always slept well, eaten well, and been super happy.  The last week has been a little different.  The little devil inside of him has come out.   He refused to take naps.  He would only sleep if I was holding him.  If I even so much as thought about putting him down, he would cry.  Because he was refusing to nap all day long, at about 5:00pm he would start to whine.  He would whine until about 8:30pm when he just couldn't take it anymore and would fall asleep for the night.  Oh boy...this was not something I was interested in making a habit.

So, Thursday I called Kristen.  I was in desperate need of some advice.  She told me that I need to make sure he is tired, put him in his bed for nap time, and just let him cry until he fell asleep.  There is a book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" that claims this method works.  She did this with Mimi and in just 3 short days she was a napping pro.  I decided to give the method a try.  I didn't want Jax to think that his new schedule was going to be a routine.

Friday morning at about 11:00am I decided that I was going to be strong and let him cry if he didn't go to sleep.  He was rubbing his eyes tired.  While I was holding him he was nodding off, but the second I put him in his crib he was not so excited.  He kept his eyes closed for about one minute and then started to cry.  Oh no!  I listened to him for a little bit and just couldn't take it.  I texted Kristen for a little moral support and she told me "DON"T GIVE IN!"  So, I held on.  It felt a little more like child abuse than teaching Jax a napping routine.

Jax would whimper for a minute then let out a loud scream.  I couldn't handle just sitting there listening to him scream so I stared to clean my house.  I cleaned for about 30 minutes.  I wanted to start crying I felt so bad for the little guy cause I knew that the second I picked him up he would stop crying.  I was so worried that he was going to be mad at me when he woke up or that he was hungry or that his adorable skinny jeans were uncomfortable to try and sleep in. Finally, I made a decision.  I was going to get in the shower and if he was still crying when I got out I would rescue him.  When I got out of the shower he was asleep!!  Yahoo!  I did it.  The first forced nap.  The above picture is the face I was greeted with when he woke up from the nap.  Ahh, a smile.  He still likes me.

I am still working on getting him to be a better napper.  But, I am really hoping he only takes 3 days like Mimi.  But, I did just put him down for a nap, and he only cried for about 2 minutes and fell asleep, (and has been asleep for an hour and a half!!).  I think that I am going to cure him of his new devilish ways.

7 comments:

Konold's said...

I cannot even remember how many times I sat in the TV room crying right along with Stockton waiting for him to fall asleep. It is painful. But it works. I remember asking my doctor about it and she said that it will not damage the baby, he will still love you; but it will destroy you. True, true. It gets better. Stay tough!

Thorntons said...

Hey Goldie it's Brittany Thornton I have to put a block on my blog if you want to view my blog e-mail me and I'll put you on my list. brittanythornton@comcast.net

Lyssa said...

Ya I love the "cry-it-out" method. It's totally sounds harsh but when you've gone through it and see the end result, you love it:) I had to do it with both girls around 4-5 months because at night, they were dependant on something and didn't know how to fall asleep by them selves, which is crucial for sanity! So ya, after like 2 days, they are fine and only whimper initally but then they fall asleep!
And another GREAT book that I love and always give as gifts is Baby Whisperer. THis lady is awesome and is great with routines. It sounds like he's on a 2 nap/day schedule. It's just helpful to konw his routine so you can plan out your day better. I don't know, i'm such a routinanator with kids. I just like being in control and knowing what to expect :)

Kelsey, Greg, and Olivia said...

Oh boy! I went through the same thing with olivia! She cried for an hour one day! It was brutal. I was sitting on the couch bawling! But now, she only cries for a second when I put her down. Hang in there. By the way, it was good to see you guys last night! We need to get together soon!

Renae said...

That is a great book! I didn't have it with Victoria and she ruled my life. I used it with the other three and it was heaven! Be strong and Jax will continue to be a happy, healthy baby. ;) And that will make you a happy, sane mommy!

Lindsi said...

Is the chain of blogstalking it took for me to happen upon your blog really that important? Mostly it's just important that I found you right?!? I heard you and the Mindster got together recently. How was that? I was in Africa or I would have been there dude! Okay well, your baby is cute and getting big. Check ya lata!

B RACHEL AND LENNON said...

Goldie! HEy I am so glad y0u found my page. Your baby is so freaking cute... It is so crazy that the majority of us have kids. I really can't believe it. Ya my little one came out with a sweet ole tan! He wasn't jaundice either. I thought for sure that was why... he has b's coloring along with everything else! He is B's twin. We need to all get together soon. Go to dinner or do something! ANyway, it was good to see you and your cute little family. I can't even believe it!