8.24.2008

Hobble Creek Half Marathon


I did it!  I can't believe that I actually trained for this thing and showed up and ran yesterday.  It was actually so much fun.  I know, 13.1 miles doesn't usually sound like my definition of fun, but it was so awesome to finish that race!  Jacque and I decided  about half way through May that we were going to do it, and we both finished!  Congrats to us!  Poor Jacque rolled her ankle at mile 2!  But, she was a trooper and ran another 11 miles on that weak little ankle.

It was a pretty intense morning - especially for a nursing mother.  I had to wake up at 4:00am!  Now, that is early.  I woke up and got ready for the race.  Then, I had to wake Jax up and feed him.  Hobble Creek Canyon is about 45 minutes from my house so, I had to leave pretty early to be there to load the buses at 5:30am.  We were shuttled up to the starting line by school buses.  I found Jacque (and my cousin Amy) up at the starting line.  Then, like 2 minutes before the race even started, Jacque and I got separated - understandable with over 1200 runners!  So, we didn't even get to run one step together!

It was pretty hard, I will admit that.  My goal was just to finish.  But, at about mile 8 I decided mid-race that I wasn't going to walk.  I made a new goal in the middle of the run.  And, I am proud to say that I achieved that goal.  I ran the entire 13.1 miles!  Not a single walk break.  I finished in 2 hours and 7 minutes.  My legs and knees KILL!!  But, it was totally worth it.

16 comments:

Jacque said...

Yay to us! I am so glad we did it too! Next time, hopefully I can go w/out weak ankles. Stink!
haha
Congrats girl!

Jonny and Suzette Baird said...

dude, I am so impressed, if you hate running even close to how bad I hate it then that is a huge huge sacrifice and I am so happy for you. Runner's are amazing to me, I don't know how YOU (notice you are one of THEM now!) guys do it, wow! and from what I know it looks like you got a killer time as well. Nice job, I am super jealous of your skills.
Love ya

Lyssa said...

Way to go GOldie! That is just so impressive. I totally look up to anyone who can do that, especially one who just had a baby like 6 months ago? geez, you are very determined so that is great!

Renae said...

You guys are great! I think running downhill sounds painful, but I guess it's better than uphill! :) It's also takes some pretty great self discipline to not walk at all the whole way. I'm glad you guys "enjoyed" it. ;)

Andrew and Jenna said...

Wow... you are my hero. Seriously, I'm way impressed. How do you ever even get the motivation to do something like that!?! Just thinking about running for two solid hours makes me tired. I tagged you on my blog, so knock yourself out if you feel like doing it :)

Peter & Darise said...

If you were trying to become my # 1 hero you succeeded with flying colors. that's so awesome! congratulations. that's a huge accomplishment.

Cody & Jessica said...

Wow good job!! I'm totally impressed. I am so not a runner, but wish I was cuz it gets you so in-shape.

kennan said...

you are crazy.... i couldn't even rollerblade that far!

Kelsey, Greg, and Olivia said...

I am so proud of you! That is so awesome. I wish I had the motivation to do that, but I guess I'll just live through you! It sounds like a long hard day, but I bet you're glad it's over. Congrats! You're awesome!

Andrea said...

That's soooo awesome Goldie!!! Good job! I don't think i'll ever do that!!!! You gotta come see our house! It's right by your parents! FUN!

Jobi Niu said...

GOLDIE!! Good job! YOu go girl.. I'm so jealous.

Heather Lee said...

congratulations!

annie and jared said...

congrats goldie! i seriously am impressed because my sister and i said we were going to do it but after about a month of training it kind of died out. that is awesome!!!

Beck said...

You are seriously AMAZING!! You should be so dang proud because that is a HUGE accomplishment. Way to go woman!

kelison said...

Wow! You are amazing! I'm thrilled to have your blog address and see Jax. He is so big already-- I can't believe it. What an adorable baby. I just want to squish him!!

m&m said...

Congrats Goldie! You made it. That's so great. I forgot to ask you about it yesterday. The real question is when are you doing another one?