5.08.2008

1/2 Marathon Time


That’s right. A 1/2 marathon. What am I thinking? I am not sure, but I am doing it. My cousin Dayna was talking about how she is going to be running the Hobblecreek 1/2 Marathon in August with a friend. It got the wheels turning in my head. I went to the website, rolled it over in my mind and decided it’s a go. Crazy aren’t I. Most definately. Especially because the completion of a 5k is my only running fame to claim. Right after I made the decision to do it, I decided that I needed to drag a few people into this thing with me. Jacque, my sister-in-law, said yes in a heartbeat. Skye took a little more time to decide, but finally said she would give it a try – even if it is 3 weeks after her wedding. My mother-in-law, Jana, is even considering jumping on the bandwagon.

So, now that I mentally decided that I am going to run this 13.1 miles in August, I need to get myself ready physically. Wow. That’s the hard part. I just had a baby, well 3 months ago. But, let me tell you, the effects of that don’t disappear over night. I took about 4 weeks off of working out right after Jax was born. For the 8 weeks that I had maternity leave, I was pretty dedicated. Then, my grueling 5:00am mornings kicked in. The exercise routine went right out the window. There is NO WAY that I could workout in the mornings. Please. When would I sleep? From 11:00pm – 3:00am. Nice try. Nights aren’t working out too well either. I have been away from Jax and Chase all day. The last thing I want to do when I get home is have someone baby sit Jax while I go workout or leave Chase at home with him. So, needless to say the working out has come to a complete halt. That doesn’t really make training for a half marathon easy.

So, as terrible as my sedentaryness (is that even a word) is, I am just going to have to wait until May 31st when school is over. Then, the running begins. I was going to run the Provo River 1/2 last summer, but then my OBGYN told me he wouldn’t recommend it while pregnant. So, unless I get pregnant again before August 23rd, I’m in!!

13 comments:

M&M said...

Hi! You can totally do it. I'm planning on it. Amy Robinson called and she's doing it too. How fun, we can all run together, which is the only you survive it without going a little cookoo, like I did last weekend running the Hurricane 1/2 by myself. Plus this one is all down hill, which is a huge plus. Amy tried to get me to sign up for the St. George Marathon and I said "no" without even thinking about it. I have no desire whatsoever. A half is very doable but a full, no way. After running the half, you think, how could I ever keep going and do what I've just done. Anyway, happy training. You'll do great. If I can do one ANYONE can. Call me to run sometime. It would be fun!

Tigh, Jacque, & Charlotte said...

Oh man Goldie! I have already started the eating plan and let me tell ya! My tongue is bored! haha. Veggies, good carbs, blah blah blah. Where are my Oreos?? Maybe when we actually start running I will be better at it. And don't worry about the no working out thing. It's only been 3 months. I had to wait 4 months before I was allowed to even THINK about running. Besides, you look awesome! And, please don't get prego before August...wait until we've completed this grueling challenge. Like Septemeber!:)

annie and jared said...

good for you golds! i really really need something like that to keep me running every morning, because i am about 50% right now, i need that extra motivation. so where is this happening? maybe i should do it too.

Austin & Andrea said...

That's really cool Goldie--good for you! Wish I was that dedicated to running! That seems sooooo long. 13.1 miles would take me 3 hours (cause I would be walking about 12 of the miles) You will do awesome!

Kelsey, Greg, and Olivia said...

Freak, why am I not motivated? I should jump on the bandwagon, but I have no desire, so good luck to you! You'll do great! By the way, I miss our St. George rollerblading as well!

Ashley said...

Wow! That is awesome. I'm jealous, I wish I had the motivation to do something like that, but even the thought of running at all right now makes me sick. But congrats and good luck!

trevan & kennan said...

do they allow roller blading in this marathon? if so i am in. you crazy!

Jobi Niu said...

That is Awesome! you go girl!! I wouldn't recommend getting preg before August 23.. you'll be followin in my footsteps..I'm just kidding, it's not THAT bad

Tigh, Jacque, & Charlotte said...

Yeah...umm. My butt hurts already.

Heather Lee said...

hey i want in! I'll recruit Holland to be my training partner. I have a jogging stroller and have yet to use it as such. It has been more of a slow meandering stroller thus far...please can we say nursing and running are a lethal combination. But I'll buy some tape and hop right in to the training routine. (sorry for the graphic comment)

Lyssa said...

You are amazing! Look at you, all marathony. I look up to anyone who does that. I think mentally, I just can't handle it but that is just me. You are going to do awesome!! Good luck with training. It sounds like you'll have a busy schedule this summer but I think it'll be worth it. You've definately given me motivation to keep up the work outs!

Park City Bairds said...

check you out! I totally signed up for that race last summer and the next two days I ran a mile each and thought this is the most boring then I have ever done, I hate running...plus I was super out of breathe and couldn't even think after running that mile, I am such a pansy. I am so proud of you though. I wish I was a runner!!!

Tigh, Jacque, & Charlotte said...

GOLDIE!
I check daily for pictures of cute Jax that I can possibly copy to my own blog to show the stud off, but I have yet to see anything for a week now! C'mon girl! I know you're excited and all about school being over, but that is no excuse to be slacking in your blogging responsibilities. GET TO IT!:)